Most of the time we rely on packet supermarket lunch box snacks because it’s quick and easy, right? Though for most of those on the go, packaged lunch foods are highly processed and full of added sugar that we just don’t need! Have you ever noticed that everything is covered in chocolate?!
Now don’t get me wrong I love chocolate! But what I don’t love is giving that to my son as a everyday kind of food. So, I am on a mission to make quick healthy alternative snacks that we love! Hubby and kid approved!
Because most of them are fussy buggers!
This recipe is super super easy and you can really put what ever you want in them! This is just what I had in the cupboard.
It should only take you about 10 minutes from start to finish, and you will have on the go healthy snacks for the rest of the week!
What you need
- Dried cranberries – 1/2 cup
- Cashew nuts – 1/2 cup
- Roasted almonds – 1 cup
- Pumpkin seeds – 1/2 cup
- Peanuts – 1/2 cup
- Almond butter or nut butter – 3 Table spoons
- Brown rice malt syrup – 2 Table spoons
- Buckwheat groats – 1/2 cup
- Put cranberries, nuts and seeds in blender or food processor and blend until you have a fine texture.
- Pour in mixing bowl, add your nut butter, rice malt syrup and buckwheat then stir with spoon until you get a more thicker texture. Sticky is okay, just not too wet. (If you find it's too wet then add more nuts, if it's too dry then add more nut butter and malt syrup until you find a balance.)
- Roll into a generous size balls and place into a container and freeze to set for about 1 hour.
Some extra notes:
I like to keep mine in the freezer. Though, it’s fine in the fridge and also cupboard. I do recommend fridge during the warmer months.
If all else fails OR you don’t want to buy each of these nuts I suggest buying a bag of trail mix, chucking it in the blender, and adding the remaining ingredients. It won’t be as “clean” (most packet mixes have added sugar and preservatives), but when in doubt you know you can create an easy and yummy healthier alternative.