Need an easy meal prep for either breakfast, lunch or tea? These fab wee on the go pies are filling, healthy and super easy to make. Packed full of protein to keep you full! You can even skip the pastry for a cleaner, lower carbs option and have them for snacks- perfect for a post workout!
So, why have chickpeas instead of meat such as ham or chicken?
Too many reasons to list but here is a good start…
Chickpea’s help with…
- Controlling blood sugar levels
- Increases the feeling of fullness and aids with weight loss
- Improves digestion
- Helps protects against heart disease and other health issues
- Provides essential vitamins and minerals
- Great source of plant based protein.
Makes approx 6-8 mini pies
What you need:
- 1 Can of Chickpeas
- 1 small purple Kumara or half of a medium sized one
- Cream cheese
- Pinch of ground Paprika
- Sprinkle of Sesame seeds
- 1 sheet of savoury pastry
- 4-5 eggs depending on how many you wish to make
- Muffin tin
- Chop your Kumara into small cubes and roast in oven for about 12 minutes (they do not need to be completely cooked).
- Drain your chickpeas and rinse under water, once washed pop them in a non stick fry pan on lower heat to roast away.
- Add the ground Paprika, as much or as little as you like. Toss the chickpeas in the paprika.
- Add your sesame seeds to the fry pan, again as much or little as you like.
- Keep roasting away on a low heat as you prepare the rest.
- Grease your muffin tin and cut your pastry to fit, then line the tin with your pastry ready for the filling.
- Once your Kumara is ready pop 2-3 small pieces in each pie
- Fill the rest with the chickpeas
- Dollop a small amount of cream cheese
- Mix your eggs in a bowl (sometimes I use a splash of milk) and pour into each pie, fill to the top
- Bake in the oven at 180 for around 15 mins
If you choose to go for the lower carb option just skip out the pastry and line the muffin tin with baking paper. You have plenty of options with these pot pies so get creative – add some dark leafy greens or even some tomato!