Anyone that knows me knows that I LOVE a good breakfast! I will consider eating breakfast for lunch and dinner if I could
"Why?" you ask? Because my start to the day is anything but boring! In fact, It is the most exciting meal for me! Move over toast and cornflakes, today is Choc Nut Granola day!
The best thing with this is that you can use it in so many ways! On smoothies, in deserts, topped off with coconut yoghurt. Why not sprinkle a bit in a summer salad?! Crazy, I know.
You can make a huge batch of this and store it for all kinds of food fun. You really can put anything you want in it too. As always, get creative! Use this as a baseline recipe and make up your own with the flavours you love.
What you need:
- 2 cups of whole rolled oats
- 1 cup of unsalted raw almonds
- ½ cup of walnuts
- ½ cup of hazelnuts
- ½ cup of chia seeds
- ¾ cup of raw buckwheat groats
- 5 pitted dates (chopped)
- 5 Tablespoons of sesame seeds
- 1 Tablespoon of cacao
- 2 Tablespoons of your choice of dried fruit (cranberries, sultanas etc)
- 3 Tablespoons of Brown rice malt syrup OR your choice of sweetener such as honey or Pure Maple
- 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil – melted
- Before you get busy set aside some whole nuts, we can add this to the final mixture, it will give it more texture and crunch!
- Preheat your oven to 160C and line a tray with baking paper.
- Chuck only your nuts and oats into your blender and whiz! Only about 1 or 2 pulses. We want it roughly chopped, but don’t turn it into dust! Alternatively if you have time you can roughly chop your nuts.
- Once you have done that, grab a large bowl and pour your nutty oat mixture in. Add your seeds, dried fruit, chopped dates, buckwheat and cacao. Mix through.
- It’s time to get messy! Add your rice malt syrup or the sweetener of your choice and your melted coconut oil, and get your hands in there and mix that beautiful mess!
- Note: If you find this too sticky just add a little bit more nuts and oats.
- Smooth out on to your tray and pop into oven. Bake for roughly 10 minutes. Depending on your oven some may need more and others less – it’s best to check on it regularly. We’re aiming for a golden crunchy texture. YUM!
- Once you are done, add the nuts you have set aside, and serve however you want. Chuck in a smoothie bowl, add some healthy fat such as a nut butter, some fruit or even yogurt!
Breakfast doesn’t have to be boring! This is super yummy, super healthy and super versatile.
Store for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container.