So today’s soup was inspired by my wee chunky monkey Miller, who is now 9 months old.
Sometimes it’s great to have a play with finger food and get it all over the floor, in the eyes, up the nose and on the walls… And sometimes I just want to get some green goodies in him and be done within 5 minutes because you know… Mr Miller has a very busy and social schedule (more so than me!) and we can be on time restraints, so I need something great for us both on the go. I can literally put mine in a reusable coffee mug and head out the door! Sounds strange I know but this is Mum life as we know it!
This delicious soup is packed with amazing vegetables, easy to make and will keep you feel toasty and warm during those cooler months. Plus with all these beautiful super foods, it’s a great way to boost that immunity for winter!
What you need
- 1x medium head of broccoli, roughly chopped
- 4x medium white potatoes
- 2x cubes of kale,I have used Talleys frozen kale. Alternatively you can use 1x kale leaf
- 1x cup of peas
- 1x onion – sliced
- 1x small handful of roasted almonds
- 1x cube of vegetable stock
- 40 grams of butter
- Sprinkle of garlic powder
- 200 grams of coconut cream
- 800 mls of water
- Rock salt and pepper (season to taste)
- For this soup I have used a pressure cooker, I basically chucked everything in minus the coconut cream and set timer and walked away! A slow cooker would also do the trick. So efficient! I highly recommend one, especially if you have a wee one. If you don’t, then a big pot on the stove will do – just remember to boil your potatoes first..
- Roughly chop your broccoli, potatoes and slice the onion. Add peas, water and sprinkle your vegetable stock all over your vegetables
- Add a small handful of almonds (keeping some aside if you wish to decorate on top)
- Season to taste garlic powder. I’m a bit of a fan so I go pretty heavy!
- Season with salt and pepper and you can also add some to your bowl as you serve etc
- Add a dollop of butter and cook away
- Once cooked and smelling delicious let it cool and then it’s time to whizz!
- You can use a hand blender or even something like a Nutribullet. This is where I add about half a can of coconut cream. This just makes it creamier, and you won’t taste the coconut – it’s more for the texture. Feel free to use standard cream though! I just love to add in healthy fats where I can.
- Serve with hot butter toast or bun!