Main dish, meal prep, lunch the next day or even a side. Quick, nutritious and something a little different for the family.
I love how vibrant this dish is, and it’s so easy! It takes 10 mins all up and you can serve warm or have it cold the next day.
This recipe makes 2 main meals or 4 sides.
What you need
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup long-grain rice such as basmati
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 table spoon of coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder (it shouldn’t be spicy)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or a spinkle of pink himalayan salt – whatever one you have will be fine
- ½ red bell pepper
- ½ red onion
- 400 grams (14 oz) drained and rinsed chickpeas
- Handful of baby spiniach leaves or rocket
- Handful of pumpkin seeds
- Rinse the rice a couple of times in cold water and drain.
- In a medium-sized pot, combine the stock, raisins, ginger, oil, turmeric, curry powder and salt to a boil. Add the rice, reduce the heat to low heat. Continue to stir every few minutes to prevent from sticking to bottom of pot. Cook for the length of time indicated on the rice package. Rice will soak up the water and turn a beautiful yellow colour.
- In a separate bowl finely chop your red onion and bell pepper, sprinkle your pumpkin seeds. Drain and rinse your chickpeas and pop into mixture
- Add your rice mix!
- Serve on a handful of spinach leaves or rocket – this is really just to add a bit of colour!
- A great source of energy
- And much more!